I have several friends whose daughters have had proposals that included a surprise visit and celebration from parents of both of the engaged couples. I have 2 more chances to be able to enjoy and celebrate like that. I admit, when my husband and I became engaged, we didn't think to do anything, including preparing our parents for the event. I never really had an official proposal---we dated for so long (5 years) that we just evolved in our thinking and planning. We looked for my ring together. We had actually picked it out before "Will you marry me?" was ever spoken. Even when it was, it almost seemed anti-climactic. As much as I would have loved to have had the romantic proposal, I guess I really didn't need it. (Now, wanting it is entirely different!) We were, and are, deeply in love; and were, and are, best friends.When we went to my house after buying the ring, to tell my parents about our excitement, my mom said,"What made you decide to end this casual relationship?" We all had a good laugh! I am sure they had been wondering what was taking us so long!!!!
My husband -to-be didn't think to talk to my dad---I don't know if that is because we were clueless (we were), or because I was an adult, working and on my own, and asking for my "hand" seemed ridiculous. (That's a throw back to the era when daughters and wives were property.) Now that I have children in that stage of life, my opinion about asking hasn't changed--it is their choice--but wanting to be in the loop and a part of the celebration is important to me. With the Groom-to-Be, we were definitely in the loop and loved every minute of it. I kept talking to him about how we actually needed to be there and help celebrate---but to no avail!!!!! I have already prepared my Girl Child that if her Groom-to-Be feels he must talk to the Dad, it had better be talking to the Parents.( I mean, really, who quit her paying job to work at home? ) I do know that some dads feel it IS important and talked to the No.1 Son about that, and will speak to my other son when the time comes. However I would LOVE for the G-T-B to come and talk to US. But I would like The Talk to be about planning the engagement surprise!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment