Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thank You Notes

I've been writing thank you notes this week.  While completing that very southern (and Junior League) task, I have learned several things:
1.  I can't write without my glasses.  And even when wearing them, I leave out letters and parts of letters because I just can't see what I'm doing!

2.  I start out with great intentions of writing each and every note in the neatest and prettiest penmanship I have to offer.  I have not met that goal.

3.  Writing thank you notes is not just for the receiver.  Yes, the official reason is to let the one you are thanking know how much you appreciate what they have done for you. And I do so appreciate all of the wonderful things that were done for, and with my son and his fiancee.  But in writing the notes. I have found myself reflecting on how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends.  So it has been a sort of spiritual experience and reminder of how rich I am because of those friendships.

4.  There is absolutely no way I can adequately express my thanks, appreciation and love for my friends (and family) who have done (and will do)  these wonderful things, not because they had to (I'm not family) but because they wanted to. And I am grateful not  only to those who gave a party or will help with gift bags and decorating for the rehearsal dinner, but to those who attended the parties, who showered them with gifts , who tell me how happy they are for my son,  to those I can't ask to the wedding or couldn't ask to the parties, or to those I accidentally deleted from the guest list.

5. Writing thank you notes reminds me of what I tell myself when I am a little down, and used to tell my children when they were sad about something:  Do something nice for someone else.  Not only is it nice for them, but it makes you feel good inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment