Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Workin' it Out

My Middle Child called yesterday to say that he already knows he has to work on Christmas Day and can't come home.  What the Groom -to-Be will be doing is anyone's guess---including his.  This is a dilemma we have not had to face in the 29 years since he was born.  Yes, I know we are not the first, or the last, to go through this. And other families work it out very successfully and satisfactorily. That doesn't lessen the fear of the unknown.   I knew deep inside that last Christmas might be the last that we would be together as we have been since the beginning of our little family.  I desperately will try to not turn the guilt screws as we work out, from year to year, what the holidays will be.   But for now, I am sad, and teary, and afraid that we won't be as important as the Bride-to-Be's family.  I have a feeling we will go to the Middle Child for Christmas---I just can't bear for him to be alone.   The positive side is, if the No. 1 Son and his beautiful Bride can't be with us this year, we will have something different and fun to look forward to and plan. Our lives have to go on, too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment