Friday, June 17, 2011

Time to Vent

A friend suggested that the name of my blog should have been "The Groom's Mother's Side".  She was right about that.  When I write one for the other son, I will change it.


The debate about whose wedding it is, the parents or the couple. has been one that I have had with myself as well as others.  Of course it is the wedding of the Bride and Groom.  But it is also a celebration for the 2 families and their friends.  In my young, oblivious way, I got that.  My wedding was very simple and small, and  I still didn't know everyone there...... it was a wonderful and meaningful and fun day!

Would it  have been easier to have had just family for the No. 1 Son's wedding?  This very limited guest list is not fun.  I just need 3 more invitations.  The Groom-to-Be is not empathetic.

"Back in the day", the wedding was a celebration given by the parents for the couple, and therefore was considered their party---- rehearsal dinner and wedding.   When did the parents loose at least 1/2 of the decision-making power?  Playing the money card just doesn't sit well with me and it would do nothing for our relationship.

What got me going recently was when my son made a comment about getting together with a couple for brunch on the weekend of his hometown parties.    This precious couple are originally from India and are so excited that the No. 1 son is marrying someone who is Indian, that  they want to meet and entertain her family with ours.  His comment ,"I don' t know those people and we need to get home early." , really got to me.  If he were 22  I would have more patience.  But he's 29.

I don't want you to think less of my precious son.  He is sweet, smart and handsome.  I love him so, so much.  He just doesn't like to be the center of attention and he has a shyness about him that sometimes he masks in an attitude.  I do understand that. I have a lot of that shyness in me that I work on everyday.   But:  Come on!  Really!  Really?  Get with the program.  Grow up!  Time to be an adult!  Think about someone else!  Think!  Please!  Please?

So, whose wedding is it, anyway?
OK, I think I have vented enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment