I don't know if I have talked about this earlier, but the Bride and Groom-to-Be come from similar backgrounds in many ways. Both sets of parents are well educated with similar multiple degrees. They both have a sister and brother who are well educated. They come from very caring and loving families, morally and ethically similar. The couple is similar in personality--low key, very low maintenance, casually oriented. The only big differences that I see so far is that one is quieter than the other (probably a good thing) and they come from 2 different cultural backgrounds and religions. Both honorable, just different. I don't mean denominations like Presbyterian or Methodist. Or Catholic instead of Protestant. I mean religions. The Groom was raised in a Christian home and the Bride in a Hindu home. Twenty years ago that might have bothered me. But not now. It doesn't bother the couple (or the Bride's family). They both are good people--a result of genetics, a loving and supportive home life and childhood religious training. My thinking over the years has become more inclusive and accepting of lots of things. In my interpretation of my childhood upbringing, and growth as an adult, I feel that is the way I should be. I am not always successful, but I am still evolving as a human being, having a long way to go. I come from a long line of Methodist ministers, on both sides of my family. My father, who was headed toward medical school, felt a call to the ministry. I know in my heart, because I knew him, that he would embrace the wedding.I mention this because I have been worried that some of my family and friends might have questions. It will be not only not Christian or Hindu, but not religious. But it WILL be a celebration and commitment of love, honor, respect, fidelity and family.
The most important thing is that our families join together in love, support and acceptance. Isn't that what we strive for in all marriages? I know that my family and friends who support and love us, will support and love them in their life's journey, How great is that?!
So to my wonderful family and friends I quote this Irish proverb: When I count my blessings, I count you twice.
No comments:
Post a Comment