Thanksgiving is in just a couple of weeks---yikes! I will have 2 of my (now) 4 children here for a week, so I knew I would need to go ahead and get started on making some things to have on hand so that the only thing I will be cooking for is Thanksgiving. Also, my side of the family gets together only once during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays because it started getting too complicated to get together for both---I won't go into that drama. So, we get together for "Thanksmas" on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It has become a normal holiday and word for our family, and has worked out quite well, so far. Because my mother lives where I do, we have gotten together at my house for the last several years, so between having a normal Thanksgiving at my house for whomever is here on my husband's side of the family, and Thanksmas, I am worn out just thinking about it. Hence, the cooking now, for then.

I have made a healthy chili, taco soup and gumbo that are all in the freezer, ready to pull out when the time comes. I have a couple of ideas on some healthy sides to go with the decadent dressing and gravy. So what did I do today? I got a bee in my bonnet to make a dish we had in Costa Rica about 10 years ago that has rice and hearts of palm. It may be more decadent than gravy..... 2 sticks of butter to make the bechamel sauce! Cream! Rice, onions, celery, swiss cheese and parmesan cheese! OH, My, GOODNESS! It is layered like a lasagna. I am surprising my loving husband tonight. Then I may have to give it away to get it out of the house. If is isn't good, I am saved!
If you have never had hearts of palm you are missing a treat. They are really good with artichoke hearts and adds a special twist to a regular tossed salad.
No comments:
Post a Comment